2017 marks the 14th Annual Seoul International Dance Competition.
The Seoul International Dance Competition is an annual competition in Seoul, South Korea where dancers from all over the globe travel to compete and introduce the arts and culture of their homes. This year, we are proud to announce that Plainfield Dance Academy’s very own Shelby Vennekotter has been invited to compete in the finals a the Seoul International Dance Competition. It is a huge honor in the arts to be considered for this competition and an amazing opportunity to showcase the best and the brightest in the world of dance. Shelby began dance at Millers Dance Studio in Denver, Colorado. Her dance studies included… ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, musical theatre, and Irish. After a series of moves, Shelby came to Plainfield Dance Academy in the spring of 2014. Under the direction of Altin Naska-Owner Plainfield Dance Academy, Olena Nalyvaiko, Corinne Emmenegger and Reida Dobi. Her studies focused on ballet, contemporary and character, and she quickly decided to make ballet her life.
Shelby attends Laurel Springs School which is an accredited online private school. Shelby’s ultimate goal is to be in a professional ballet company.
Her accomplishments include acceptance to numerous renowned schools of dance including:
1. Denver School of the Arts
2. Cincinnati School of Creative and Performing Arts
3. Harid Conservatory – Boca Raton
4. Kirov Ballet Academy – Washington DC
5. Zurich Opera Ballet School – Zurich, Switzerland
She has earned prestigious awards such as:
1. 2014 Carrie Rose Winski Scholarship award 3rd place
2. 2015 YAGP (Youth American Grand Prix) Indianapolis Regional classical and contemporary Junior division top 24
3. 2015 IIBC (Indianapolis International Ballet Competition) accept as a competitor
4. 2015 Carrie Rose Winski Scholarship award 2nd place
5. 2016 YAGP Chicago Regional classical and contemporary Senior division top 24
6. 2017 YAGP Chicago Regional Classical and contemporary Senior division top 12
Shelby performed in Zurich, Switzerland in a benefit for domestic abuse as a part of a trio choreographed by Eurika Rorto just last month as the headlining group. While attending the Plainfield Dance Academy, Shelby auditioned and won the role of Cinderella for the Wheatland Dance Theater’s 1st Spring full length production of Cinderella. Currently, Shelby is company member of Wheatland Dance Theater, a youth studio company of Plainfield Dance Academy.
Plainfield Dance Academy could not be more proud of Shelby for all that she has accomplished in such a short time and wishes her the best of wishes in the Seoul International Dance Competition. We can’t wait to see what lies ahead of her as she continues to follow her dreams and pursue her passions.